Search This Blog

Book Review: Til Death by Kate Evangelista

Sixteen-year old Selena Fallon is a dreamer. Not a day-dreamer, but an I-see-the-future kind of dreamer. Normally this is not a problem as she has gotten pretty good at keeping her weird card hidden from everyone in her small town. Except from her best friend Kyle and her grandparents, of course. But when Selena dreams of her own rather bloody death, things get a little too freaky even for her.

Enter Dillan Sloan. Selena has seen the new guy in a different dream, and he is even more droolworthy in person. Beyond the piercing blue eyes and tousled dark hair, there is something else that draws her to him. Something…electric. Unfortunately, Dillan makes it more than clear that he does not feel the same. They just met, so why would he act like he hates her?

When Dillan and Selena are forced together one weekend to work on a school project, Selena prepares to be ignored as usual. But when she stumbles across a few undead in the backyard, Dillan comes to her rescue and reveals a whole lot more. Not only is he part of a society that hunts otherworldly creatures…she is too. And she is being targeted by a force bigger and darker than anything she ever imagined. Despite her death dream, Selena is not going to give up easy, especially when she discovers that Dillan might not actually hate her after all.




Til Death
By: Kate Evangelista
Series: Fractured Souls #1
Release Date: March 4th 2014
Publisher: Entangled Teen



“Til Death” by Kate Evangelista was a very interesting book. Selena Fallon can see into the future in her dreams. As far as Selena knows she has kept her weird ability on the down low. Her best friends and grandparents know but that is all. Selena then has a terrible dream about her own very bloody death and everything becomes topsy turvy from there. Then Dillion Sloan comes into the picture. Selena has seen Sloan in a different dream of hers but couldn’t believe how much more attractive he was in person. When the two of them touch there is something electric. They touch and there is an electric shock every time. Immediately Dillion Sloan acts like he hates Selena and she doesn’t know why because as far as she knows she didn’t do anything to him. When Dillion and Selena are forced to work together on a school is when everything spins completely out of control.

I thought Selena Fallon was a great female lead. I will admit that I was bothered about how much she was down on herself for not being attractive when obviously she was gorgeous. Selena seems to be a typical teenage girl. She is worried about her friends, family, and school. She doesn’t want to be referred to as the weird kid. She wants her secret to be safe. I was amazed about how brave Fallon is and how she was willing to gamble her own life for the people that she loves. When Fallon found out that she was in the dark about what was going on, I don’t blame her for being mad or being frustrated. I would be frustrated too if I were in her situation. For being sixteen I thought Selena handled herself quite well.

Dillion Sloan came off as a bad boy and a jerk right away. I didn’t like him at all in the beginning. I was beginning to dread the book in the beginning because I made the assumption of; “Of course! Another bad boy.” I was wrong. I actually end of liking Dillion Sloan a lot. Sloan is very sarcastic, which is a quality I like and respect. When Sloan proves his loyalties and how much he actually liked Selena, I began to like him even more. I went from strongly disliking Sloan to actually enjoying reading about him. I may have a new book boyfriend crush.

Kyle got on my nerves a lot. I can’t say that he isn’t a loyal friend, which made me respect him but his characteristics drove me insane. He seemed a little too controlling for my taste. He wanted to control what Selena was able to know. He would get upset when Dillion got too close to her. At first I thought that Kyle was going to turn into the jealous friend that wants to be more but as I became more involved in the story, I found out that wasn’t the case. I became more curious about what Kyle was really about if it wasn’t to be a love interest.

“Til Death” gives the reader a little bit of paranormal existence. There are manticore, hellhounds, and ancient warriors, seers, and special powers. Evangelista gives her readers a little taste of everything. I think this book was decently written. I think there could have been some improvement but I didn’t have a ton of issues with this book. I think the plot was great. I felt involved and drawn into the book right away. I was definitely interested with what was going on. I thought the characters were great. The main ones I felt like I really got to know them. The minor characters I wish I got to know them a little better.

The last note I would like to leave my readers with is how gorgeous this cover is! Look how beautiful! I love the dress! I think “Til Death” is a great read! Definitely check it out!


I give "Til Death" four out of five bookshelves.









No comments